Monday, September 19, 2011

Frankenstein: The Modern Prometheus

Why is Mary Shelley's Frankenstein alternatively known as The Modern Prometheus? I am not sure. I can only posit what I find to be the reasons.

I immediately want to equate Victor Frankenstein to The Modern Prometheus because, in the Greek Myth, Prometheus stole from Zeus fire and lightning. This is similar to Frankenstein's "stealing" of the secret of life--or imbibing life into something dead. (The clichéd vision of Frankenstein almost "stealing" lightning from God, like from all those old movies, pops into my head when I think about this.) Prometheus is then punished by Zeus and incessantly ripped apart by eagles, only to revive during the night to have the cycle start again. This, I suppose, can be paralleled to Frankenstein's extreme depression after he realizes what he has done, and what is happening to those whom he loves.

I always had the idea that Frankenstein's Monster was the true Modern Prometheus. It may just be a vestige of ignorance from all of the movies and shows that showed Frankenstein's Monster AS Frankenstein. But, in early versions of the Prometheus myth, Pandora was fashioned from clay and brought to life through some hidden, natural way. (She, the first woman, was sent to torture men because of what Prometheus had done.) This makes me want to say Frankenstein is more closely related to Zeus. Frankenstein's Monster is, in this case, Prometheus. Then, his eternal punishment is to live amongst a creator and people who despise the sight of him.

I think it makes more sense for Frankenstein to be the Modern Prometheus, but it is interesting to see The Monster as Prometheus, as well.

1 comment:

  1. The best thing about a modern use of myth is when the application is not completely obvious or one-sided. Prometheus as fire-stealer; helper of humankind; instigator of a tragic series of events; symbol of endless, repetitive, suffering existence...

    ReplyDelete