Monday, November 7, 2011

The Process of Writing Poetry in "Bright Star"

I had never seriously thought about the actual process of writing a poem until watching this movie and seeing it played out on screen. I understand that different writers must have different ways of writing efficiently, but I imagined that poetry writing is a process that a writer would carry out from start to finish by him or herself. This could be a very modern or very naive way to look at it. I'm not sure. The film “Bright Star”, focuses specifically on the last years of John Keats' life and a little about the creation of some of his last works. What I found really interesting about the portrayal of Keats as a writer in this movie is how closely he works to Charles Brown- but only while he is trying to write- not actually writing. In the scene in which Fanny Brawne delivers a basket of biscuits for Keats' dying brother Tom, Keats and Brown seem to literally be laying around “waiting for inspiration” as if it was going to just waltz through the door at any moment (which, ironically, it kind of did seeing as Brawne would later be his last main source of poetic inspiration). When Keats does fall intensely in love and is suddenly full of inspiration for writing, it is portrayed in a scene that I interpreted as such:

We see Keats pulling up a chair to a cherry blossom (I'm not sure, I'm just guessing here) tree that's in full bloom (symbol for his own inspiration being in full bloom). After he has sat down the camera is fully focused on his face. His facial expression is one of clarity, even though he is squinting slightly, perhaps implying the creative process behind the beautiful poetry that is being narrated by his own voice in the background. This is followed by a montage of shots of Fanny, himself writing the poetry onto little pieces of paper, and we are then lead to a scene where Brown and Keats are moving the little pieces of ink-ridden paper all over a table.

I think the first instance where we see Keats successfully writing poetry is presented this way in order to emphasize how important it was to work with other writers during this period in time, but only to a certain degree. I think it also shows how work is pulled out of you when you are drastically affected by something in your life. This could obviously be completely dramatized, Hollywood-ized, or whatever you want to call it. I found it very interesting nonetheless and it made me think about why I had this image in my head of a writer with a head in his hands, wildly scribbling alone in a candlelit room. It's because, and maybe I'm wrong, less and less writers are known for being in fabulous collectives with other famous writers. It's almost fantasy-like to imagine that multiple people whom you consider talented or acknowledge as famous, and people who you learned about on separate occasions all knew each-other and interacted. With the exception of grouping them together as “contemporary writers”, I feel like I hear about famous modern writers doing and publishing works by themselves more than with others. If I am completely wrong (because I really would not consider myself an expert in this field) I would love to hear what's really happening in the contemporary writing scene in a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment