Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Beethoven and Keats: Symphonies in Different Media

Beethoven chose each phrase, each chord, each note with such care and purpose that the listener is constantly challenged to dig deep into the work, looking beyond the obvious and finding the hidden emotion in what may seem to be a straightforward, simple composition. Professor Takacs explained how Beethoven used elements of musical key, piece structure, and the properties of the piano to carefully direct the listener, almost subconsciously, to feel a certain emotion. Longing, fear, isolation, fate, and transcendance were all at Beethoven's fingertips. This reminds me of my favorite romantic poet, John Keats. Much like Beethoven, Keats packs so much meaning into each carefully chosen word and phrase that he can mould the reader's emotions with little effort. When I read Keats, I feel that his words are a symphony; like Beethoven's masterpieces, he artfully spins a web of feeling and power, yet never gives away his full intention. I enjoyed seeing Prof. Takacs play some Beethoven live because I was able to notice his facial expressions as he played. I could tell that he was moved by what he was doing. I feel the same way when I read Keats. Neither Keats nor Beethoven meanders, neither do they lay their intentions bare. Byron, on the other hand, is long-winded and sometimes obvious in that he is doing something amazing. How refreshing it is to hear the amazing and be moved without even being aware of it at the time. Only on looking back can we see that something marvelous has just taken place.

No comments:

Post a Comment