Monday, December 5, 2011

Kubla Khan, Modern Version

When I was younger my father dragged me to a concert at some small honky-tonk bar in Nashville to see some local music, being of Middle School age and into "cool" music I was not particularly enthused. However, there was one aspect of the performance that piqued my interest and made the whole night's boredom worth it. One of the artists spoke a personal rendition of Kubla Khan by Coleridge as an introduction to a song of his, and I found myself (without knowing anything about STC) enthralled by the words. His version has since been the one that runs through my mind whenever I read Coleridge's poem, and though it may be crude by some standards it sticks with me nonetheless.

The version I post here (as with all things) cannot match the memory-magnified purity of that first moment, but I'd like to share it anyways. Also, if anyone is interested in folk music I wholeheartedly recommend David Olney, he is a fantastic musician and songwriter (he also has renditions of other classic poems on his Youtube account, though I can't vouch for their quality). Also, I don't seem to be able to create a hyper link using this blogs tools for some reason, and it won't show up, I will instead just post the address where the video can be found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK5EcMxuQzk

No comments:

Post a Comment