Thursday, December 15, 2011

To Autumn, a painting

I do not understand quite how the poem "To Autumn" and this painting based off of the poem are related. I see no images from the poem, which I understand may be too literal of an interpretation for the artist. However, I also do not see any of the sentiments in the poem. I see only a nice painting of some trees by a lake with a pretty background. I don't see the growth or the sweetness from the first stanza. I suppose I can see a little bit of the calmness and waiting patiently of the second stanza, but that is not what the poem's focus is. I don't see the maturity in the last stanza. And, furthermore, I don't see the cyclical nature of the poem, which I suppose may be hard to paint. Nonetheless, this painting is not what I expected when searching for a painting based on this poem. I feel like it doesn't encapsulate anything the poem is trying to convey, nor does it propose similar sentiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment